Welcom to the party pal

A blog for almost 30 year old's going no where in life.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

My Quest To Brewery Ommegang

Part II: An Extraordinary Expedition

** Preface **
      I can not, for the life of me, write a coherent descriptive narrative about factual events and make it in any way interesting. Seriously, I was bored off my ass proof reading my own trip up state to the magical world of Ommegang. It didn’t even feel like I was reminiscing as I reread it and I really enjoyed the shit out of the trip. In short, it didn’t look like anything I would write, didn’t sound at all how I would talk and ultimately felt hollow and lack luster. So, what’s going to happen is I’m going to take my original blog, abuse the shit out of copy and paste, cut it down to the important stuff and sprinkle the entire thing with profanity to give it a little kick. Let it sit for about 15 minutes at 450 degrees and shove it directly up your ass… bitches.

Reoccurring themes of note:
   - The leaves were very pretty. (Oooh look at that yellow, that orange is lovely)
   - The people were extremely friendly… almost too friendly. (Note to self: find out what they are hiding.)
   - Trip took 4 hours up and 5 hours back. That’s a total of 9 HOURS for beer. +1 to Awesomeness.
** End Preface **

      We got to Fly Creek (about 13 minutes outside of Coopers town in upstate New York) around 11:30ish and had a much needed stretch and walk around. The place is freakin’ awesome. They have the best apple cider on the planet, I shit you not. Seriously, I want to shower in it. They also have a great gift shop and market type… thing. Let’s put it this way, if it has to do with apples they do it, and better then you’ve ever even heard of. After you go through the shop and, if you’re a compulsive buyer like myself, spend way too much money, you’ll wind up in their quaint sized outdoor eatery. They serve a variety of things derived from apples but also other things to snack on, including pulled pork so amazing I passed out.

      There was more I am sure I missed but my desire for the liquid of the Gods was growing to homicidal levels inside of me so shortly after finishing our pulled pork sandwiches we were headed back out on the main road. The GPS informed me we were only a few miles away and would arrive in approximately 15 minutes. I demanded silence in the car and raised the volume on Beethoven’s ‘Moonlight Sonata’ to set the mood as my inner drunken child shook with excitement. Shortly after, we saw the sign for Brewery Ommegang.

Brewery Ommegang:

(me just entering Brewery Ommegang!)

      It was everything I expected it to be with one exception that we will get to later. The brewery is styled after an authentic Belgian brew house which looks very similar to an American style farm, and is commonly mistaken as such. We took a quick 20 minute tour of the brewery and also joined in on the beer tasting after giving the gift shop a once over. Of course I knew what the beers tasted like but A) I just drove 4+ fucking hours to get there and B) a good practicing alcoholic never turns down free beer. Oh also, we had the chance to sample there new limited edition brew called ‘Cup O’ Kindness’ which they are releasing only for a short time. It is a dark brew that’s origins date back to World War 1 when the Belgians strove to cater to the Scottish military forces stationed in their country. What they came up with was a surprisingly delicious Belgian style Scottish brew that was so good we ended up winning the war.

      There are two facts that I feel must be included in this report: Fact 1: although Ommegang has the license to sell beer to the public, they are currently lacking the license to consume beer on the premises. Fact 2: due to fact 1, we both cried like little bitches. This did not stop me however from spending way too much money on items from their gift shop and still enjoying every single second of the trip.

(me sitting outside on the lawn in front of the entrance)

      To conclude, Keanu Reeves is a terrible actor! Wait, which blog is this… hhmm seems that is actually part of my blog notes for Ommegang… as well as every other set of notations that I have… interesting. If you are within driving distance to Brewery Ommegang it is well worth the trip up to visit them. Their beers are outstanding (try the ‘Rare Vos”, its unbelievably good. Seriously, the lyrics in love songs make sense to me when I think about that beer) the scenery is breathtaking and overall it’s a positive experience that you won’t regret. Check out there website for directions and shit like that and if you are considering going take a look at their events section, they have some pretty interesting stuff going on.

-Tyrant 

No comments:

Post a Comment